Skip to content

President Trump halts US funding of World Health Organization

April 16, 2020

Just as he threatened last week, and was threatened back with “body bags,” President Trump tonight confirmed he will halt US funding for The World Health Organization, while US reviews virus warnings regarding China.

“Today I’m instructing my administration to halt funding of the World Health Organization while a review is conducted to assess the World Health Organization’s role in severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus,” Trump said at a press conference.

“The reality is the WHO failed to obtain, vet and share information in a timely fashion.”

“The WHO failed in its basic duty and must be held accountable.”

Trump is explaining his reasoning at today’s press conference:

Additionally, Trump accused the world body of “mismanaging” and “covering up” the coronavirus, and failing to obtain timely information on the virus, causing a 20-fold increase in deaths around the world:

“Tremendous amounts of time” were “lost” due to what Mr Trump called the WHO’s slowness.

“So much death was caused by the WHO mistakes …”

Trump criticized the international agency’s response to the outbreak, saying:

“one of the most dangerous and costly decisions from the WHO was its disastrous decision to oppose travel restrictions from China and other nations.”

“Fortunately, I was not convinced and suspended travel from China saving untold numbers of lives,” he said.

Remember Tedros’ warning …

President Trump said his administration plans to redirect dollars meant for the WHO to work with countries on health issues “in other ways.”

The decision comes after President Trump suggested on Friday that he may place a hold on US funding for the World Health Organization, which has consistently carried water for Beijing during the coronavirus outbreak – insisting that the communist regime had the disease under control, while peddling Chinese propaganda about the transmissibility of the virus.

WHO Director-General Tedros Ahanom Ghebreyesus also opposed Trump’s late-January travel ban, saying “We reiterate our call to all countries not to impose restrictions that unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade. Such restrictions can have the effect of increasing fear and stigma, with little public health benefit.”

The US has contributed approximately $893 million to the WHO’s operations during the last two years, according to the organization, while China has contributed around $86 million.

What’s the over/under on how long before Tedros resigns? (10/15 days)

LINK

From → Health, World Watch

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: